December 13, 2013

Doll FAQ

 photo dollfaqsmall_zpsb51100fa.jpg

What are the dolls you have in your photos?

They're Asian Ball-jointed Dolls, also called BJDs, or ABJDs. You can find out more about them by googling like I did, or joining Den of Angels (DoA).

How much do they cost?

There are different sizes, and prices differ for between ranges, but my dolls are all SD sized (~60cm), and range from 400USD to 600USD. They can, and DO go up to 1000USD or more, especially for limited editions though I've not spent that much on a single doll so far.

Where did you buy them?

You can buy them from a wide range of companies that you can find from DoA's wiki, but my dolls are specifically from the following:

Gabriel, Dennis - eluts.com
Hew, Sion, Nathaniel, Caillen - migidoll.com
Ezekiel, Kristolf - leekeworld.com
Jack - dollmore.net
Tiyana- elfdollshop.com
Joe - nobilitydoll.com
Freddy, Elly - Volks
Cypher - dollfairyland.com

However, Gabriel's sculpt has been stopped, and Ezekiel and Kristolf's sculpts have been discontinued. Joe is a limited release of Esthy/Distant Memory Peroth by Nobilitydoll. It is still possible to get them off DoA's marketplace though. Also, Volks sculpts are hard to get first hand if you don't live in countries with physical stores like Japan, Korea or USA. I got Elly from Volks Korea when I stayed there for a while, and got Freddy secondhand. Their sculpts are limited releases but Volks does rerelease them sometimes.

If I find the time to, I'll go make a list of the companies I know of, but there's really too many, and many of the companies are so small that I've never heard of them (which is quite fun to find out actually). Off the top of my head, here's some other companies I know (but never bought from):
Dream of Doll (DOD)
Doll in Mind (DIM)
Crobidoll
Iplehouse
Granado
Dollzone (DZ)
Little Monica
Unoa/Alchemic Labo (the first is their doll name but I didn't even know their company name at first lol)
Supiadoll
Limhwa
Volks

There's links to bjd sites on the sidebar of this blog, and most of them sell dolls, so do check them out. The list isn't exhastive though.

Where do you buy their clothes from?

Most of their clothes are from:
Tata's Paradise
Sunny World
4D
Sadol
Ajumapama
Tree Design
M3
Leeke
Endless (for my girl)

If you have any specific clothing you are interested in, feel free to post a link to the image and ask me. I keep an excel sheet of all their stuff so I know where most of their clothes came from, except the ones I bought 2nd hand, which may or may not be known. (Yeah, I know. I'm a geek. Who keeps excel spreadsheets of their doll stuff anyway?)

So how many dolls do you have and what sculpt are they?

In the order I got them:
1. Gabriel (CP Dreaming Lishe boy)
2. Dennis (Luts SDF Bliss)
3. Nathaniel (Migidoll Jina boy)
4. Hew (Migidoll Miho)
5. Sion (Migidoll Miho)
6. Ezekiel (Leeke Khal)
7. Kristolf (Leeke Mihael)
8. Jack (Zaoll Muse boy)
9. Tiyana (Elfdoll Vivien)
10. Joe (Esthy Peroth) (He was previously Caillen, then Benja, and now Joe)
11. Caillen (Migidoll Cynical Ryu modded)
12. Freddie (Volks Olivia head)
13. Cypher (LTF Pong Pong)
14. Elly (Volks Tae)

What eyes do they wear?/What wig?/What body are they on?/What mods do they have? Who did their faceup?

I have a more complete doll profile of each of my dolls here. Please do check it out before asking me :)

What camera do you use?

Nikon D7000. I usually use my 50mm 1.8G lens but I do take photos with my kit lens (18-105mm). Some older photos are taken with an Olymupus digital camera (check the camera information on dA to know more^^). DSLRs aren't necessary for doll photos, but I like taking photos, and I need it for school work anyway (I'm in architecture). If you're just starting, just bear in mind, good cameras aren't as important as good photography techniques.

Do you edit your photos?

Almost always! I would at least tweak with levels and contrast (see this tutorial I did) but I like to play with colours and filters on photoshop too (another tutorial I did here). I use Photoshop CS6 to edit my photos.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask below, and I might add them to the faq :)



No comments:

Post a Comment